Edward Kim, M.D. is a colorectal surgeon at Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center. Dr. Kim is also Director of the Surgical Skills Center for general surgery residents.
Dr. Kim completed his undergraduate education at Yale University, graduating magna cum laude. Before starting his medical education at UCSF, he served as a U.S. Peace Corps Volunteer for two years in the Fiji Islands as a fisheries extension officer.
Dr. Kim earned his medical degree at UCSF in 2000, where he received the Nusz-Galante Award for outstanding medical students in surgery. He completed his general surgery residency at UCSF in 2006. After his residency, Dr. Kim completed a colorectal surgery fellowship at the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis. He joined the UCSF faculty in 2007.
Dr. Kim has a strong clinical interest in laparoscopic and robotic colorectal surgery and also the management of perianal fistula.
|Dept or School
|University of California, San Francisco
- American Board of Surgery, 2007
- American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery, 2009
Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Pelvic Floor Disorders
In the News
- Surgical support team: Lessons learned after piloting a near peer support program for medical students during their core surgery clerkship.| | View in PubMed
- Third year medical student knowledge gaps after a virtual surgical rotation.| | View in PubMed
- Paying it forward: A pilot program for near-peer support for medical students during the surgery clerkship.| | View in PubMed
- Where Do We Go From Here? Assessing Medical Students' Surgery Clerkship Preparedness During COVID-19.| | View in PubMed
- Near-Peer Learning During the Surgical Clerkship: A Way to Facilitate Learning After a 15-Month Preclinical Curriculum.| | View in PubMed
- Surgery Clerkship Curriculum Changes at an Academic Institution during the COVID-19 Pandemic.| | View in PubMed
- Using Technological Advances to Improve Surgery Curriculum: Experience With a Mobile Application.| | View in PubMed
- Med Ed Portal| | View in PubMed
- Evaluation of a Surgery-Based Adjunct Course for Senior Medical Students Entering Surgical Residencies.| | View in PubMed
- American Journal of Surgery| | View in PubMed
- From novice to master surgeon: improving feedback with a descriptive approach to intraoperative assessment.| | View in PubMed
- A better way to teach knot tying: a randomized controlled trial comparing the kinesthetic and traditional methods.| | View in PubMed
- Home Video Curriculum for Basic Surgical Skills| | View in PubMed
- Peer assisted learning in surgical skills laboratory training: a pilot study.| | View in PubMed
- Bringing the skills laboratory home: an affordable webcam-based personal trainer for developing laparoscopic skills.| | View in PubMed
- Do Side-by-Side Anastomoses Decrease the Risk of Recurrence in Crohn's Disease?| | View in PubMed
- Clinical Colorectal Cancer| | View in PubMed
- Activation of nociceptive neurons in T9 and T10 in cerulein pancreatitis.| | View in PubMed
- Surgery| | View in PubMed
- Substance P inhibits pancreatic exocrine secretion via a neural mechanism| | View in PubMed
- Evaluation of Ertapenem Use as a Perioperative Antibiotic in Colorectal Surgery| View in PubMed